Sunday, September 29, 2019

Ask HN: Will Software Developers ever be respected in the industry itself?

This is something I've been grappling with for a while as I have started considering looking for a new job.

I've been working at one of the big 5 (do we still call them that?) for the past 5 years and it seems that every company in the industry, large or small, has not only escalated the whiteboard hazing rituals, but entered in to a full-on arms race where the difficulty of problems one can expect has spiraled out of control and become a game of "we both know you memorized this solution but let's pretend you're coming up with it from first principles wink".

At the time, I also had copious amounts of free time with which to spend hours each day grinding leetcode problems online.

Not only do I not have that time any more, I don't have the inclination to do so. Spending 20 (or more!) additional hours each week doing nothing but solving algorithm problems sounds like an egregious waste of time.

And grind problems I would otherwise have to - my day-to-day is focused on delivering quality software and leading a team, I haven't had to write an algorithm to invert a binary tree, or find triplets in an array that satisfy a geometric sequence once.

Even recruiters seem to be getting in on the action themselves. I recently spoke with a recruiter at another of the big 5, and, during the initial conversation, they started asking basic questions such as "which of these algorithms is O(nlogn)". After answering a few of them I politely told them I was no longer interested and ended the conversation.

At this point I think I've come to terms that my only real options are remain where I'm at until the end of my career (and if I ever get fired or laid off I don't know what I'll do), or go back to school and pursue a different career in a field that respects people and trusts them.

I just don't see the industry changing for the better here. If anything, it has gotten significantly, noticeably, horrifically worse since I was last engaged in this process.


Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21110570

Points: 1

# Comments: 1



from Hacker News: Newest https://ift.tt/2m8N1Bb
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

England enjoy dominant day at Lord's to close in on series win

England enjoy day of dominance with both bat and ball to put themselves in complete control of the second Test against Pakistan, closing day...