Thursday, September 13, 2018

New comment by alan_n in "Top Open-Source Static Site Generators"

Never tried Nikola, but I'm painfully aware of the problem. I think I've tried and migrated through enough SSGs at this point though that I think I can write something better.

The main problem IS the config imo. That and plugins (and their configs). Don't know if you've tried Vue's new CLI, but my idea is if I don't want to or can't abstract away the complexity without imposing limits on flexibility, the next best thing is to "visually" abstract it by making the configuration happen in a UI like Vue's CLI. This will get rid of errors because you would be able to stop the user choosing conflicting actions, and things that cannot be abstracted in a config, usually CAN be in a UI. Main one, for example, and the one I'm focusing on is routing. There's tons there that can be abstracted in a UI there. You can also add hints, links, etc in a UI. There would be no need to be looking at the docs all the time. In the future hopefully I can expand the idea further to include an editor, but I have to keep my goals reasonable or I will never finish.

As for how many features and how complex, after migrating my site so many times I feel the following should be included (because if they're third party plugins they end up un-maintained): RSS, Sitemaps, Image Resizing, and maybe Embeds

PS: I tried wordpress with a static generator plugin once, it was horrifying, never going back. Even ignoring the static generator plugin, it still did barely better than the previous SSG I'd been using. The plugins were all of wildly varying quality. In particular I was constantly fighting the one that resized my images.



from Hacker News - New Comments: "WordPress" https://ift.tt/2N5rGVr
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

A 21-Year-Old Violinist Emerges from a Field Crowded with Prodigies

Article URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/15/arts/music/maria-duenas-carnegie-hall.html Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?...